present post I’m afraid – I got a lot of sewing done for people prior to
Christmas. I have two wonderful friends whom I craft with regularly on a Monday
evening and I decided to make each of them a sewing apron influenced by this tutorial
from the lovely ladies at simple simon and co –
seriously, if you want to go and read a GOOD sewing blog (rather than staying
here with me) head on over – they are just fab!
I drafted the apron
shape myself, which was simple enough as it’s just really a flat piece of
fabric – the beauty of these were in the embellishments. I made one with purple
accents and one with green and the real
key on these was the embellishments.
Each has a removable
pin cushion pinned to the right shoulder (as both friends are left handed) a large
pocket divided into sections in the contrast fabric across the bottom – I made
sure that one of the sections was big enough to fit in a pair of fabric
scissors. Across the top of the pockets I stitched a tape measure, and I then
made little pockets for a stich ripper
The ties are made out
of bias tape and I added a bow made out of the remainder of the measuring tape
to add a little visual detail at the side. I thought it was going to be really
tough to sew on the tape, but actually it was pretty easy – the only issue was
having to get things right the first time, as it wouldn’t heal. Most of the
time I stitched in black down the central line on it anyway, so hopefully the stitches
wouldn’t be too visible
My favourite details are probably the bow and the stitch
ripper pocket – originally I was just going to make it out of the bias tape,
but as I had so much measuring tape left over, and nothing really to do with
it, I decided to add it to the pocket – and I think it looks so sweet!
As a bonus you can
have a picture of the apron I made for my best friend’s birthday. I made it in
the same fabric, but finished it with red gathered lace that I had in my stash –
I think this looks really cool, Mr P kept on referring to it as her “Racy” apron
– which whilst possibly true – was not the intention.
Please forgive pictures of my underwear on Daphne there
(Daphne the Dressmakers Dummy that is…) – I had to add a bra to mimic my humongous
bazoongas on her – and then I had a pair of pants sat in my drawer that had no
bra to match… so I added them too.