Thursday 13 March 2014

A Ruffled Jeans Skirt


This skirt was a mash up between two great skirt tutorials I found a while ago at riley blake designs firstly this one which I got the ‘jeans’ part of the ruffled jeans skirt, and then this one for the ‘ruffled’ part of the … you get it. That second one is actually from the wonderful Elizabeth’s over at simple simon and co so I’m a massive fan of their tutorials and their ideas are way better than mine… so what?

Basically, I have this issue with my jeans where they get a hole in the bottom of the seat (IN THE BUM) which makes them unwearable as jeans, but perfect for this. I say ‘my jeans’ because I always buy the same jeans… I have a design that fits me and I like it… don’t judge me… I’m not a trousers person (at ALL) so getting me to wear jeans even a little bit is an achievement.

So I cut the top bit off (usually just above wherever the hole has decided to appear) I then cut the legs off and then cut the seams away from the legs. This leaves me with four long strips created from the legs, which I stitch together to make the bottom section. I think this ended up as about 3 times the width of the top bit – so I made a strip of regular fabric that was twice the width of the skirt fabric (Math Graduate… BOOM) and gathered until it fit.

I lined it in an old sheet again – it’s my favourite skirt because it is SO WARM. And put a little bit of gathered lace around the hem for interest. I’m actually wearing this RIGHT NOW. It really is my favourite skirt. I got so excited when another pair of jeans wore through because it meant I could make myself another skirt!

I wish I’d had my overlocker when I did this – because I zigzagged all of the seams, but it’s really not enough. I don’t know why, I’m sure someone else does, but this denim has frayed A LOT. SO yes, I’d recommend overlocking, or binding the seams even.

As I said, I’m going to make another one of these soon and I might do a tutorial along with it! Because that’s what real bloggers do… and I’m a real blogger…

Katy x

P.S. I only just noticed I only had ONE picture of this skirt… mad sorry about that!

12 comments:

  1. Such an unusual and pretty skirt. Well done! :-) Love the ruffley effect.

    Gayle x
    http://makethriftlovelife.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gayle - it's less unusual now, as I've just made another one!

      Delete
  2. Totally in love with this!! I'm too old for it.....or am I? I'm only old in years. Hmmm. I'll have to ponder that. But in the mean time, I'm gonna try one for my great granddaughter (she's 3). Wouldn't that be adorable? Love the way you put the band of denim in the skirt! Has anyone ever told you that picture of you is cute as the dickens? 'Tis! Thanks for the great idea! Dona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're never too old for a ruffled denim skirt. Although to be perfectly honest, the two tutorials that I combined to make this were both for kids skirts - it would be a great one to do for kids if they've grown too tall for their jeans, but they still fit around the waist!

      Delete
  3. What a fun upcycle for worn jeans. I'm a sucker for jean skirts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THis is a neat idea for jeans that have rips in the legs but the butt and waist are still fine. Since this is a mashup, you should join my sister's MOnthly Mash Up at www.callajaire.com !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sparkling! I'll head on over and have a look.

      Delete
  5. What a great way to recycle some old jeans. I like this kind of project - making something old into something new and useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimberlee - I love it mostly because I got a brand new skirt, FOR FREE. Free stuff is always a winner in my book!

      Delete
  6. What a great way to keep enjoying a favorite pair of jeans!!
    Thanks Katy for sharing your skirt with us a Project Inspire{d}!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane - I seem to always destroy jeans in the same way - so I now have two of these skirts, and I'm sure I will build up a collection!

      Delete